Web Hosting Canada (WHC) is a privately owned, Canadian technology and IT infrastructure company based in Montreal, Quebec. We’re a team of passionate web professionals providing Canadian businesses with the means to succeed online.
Since 2003, WHC has set the highest standard for service reliability and security and is now trusted by tens of thousands of clients throughout Canada and abroad. It is among the fastest-growing web service providers in Canada.
Web Hosting Canada is accredited by the Canadian Internet Registry Authority (CIRA), is an official cPanel, Cloudlinux, and SpamExperts partner and has consistently been ranked the #1 Canadian domain name provider by the .CA registry.
Every day, Web Hosting Canada helps thousands of Canadian individuals, small businesses and organisations grow and succeed online with its powerful yet affordable web solutions. We’d love to count you among them.
How you fit in
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Director of DevOps will be responsible for managing WHC’s Development and System Administrator teams. The incumbent will be expected to understand the technical landscape and spearhead products and projects by delegating responsibilities to the appropriate team member.
You Will Make an Impact By
- Managing and supporting the DevOps teams, including:
- Systems (including IT)
- L3 Support
- Ensuring the proper functioning of WHC’s infrastructure and monitoring systems
- Participating in the elaboration and implementation of new technical projects and improvements
- Developing and sustaining a DevOps vision and strategy
- Managing the DevOps service budget
- Participating in the hiring, onboarding and technical training initiatives
- Providing oversight to the team leads
- Managing compliance
- Spearheading IT initiatives
- Ensuring system security and best practices
- Helping evolve WHC’s technology stack
Who you are
- You have a strong technical background in Cloud infrastructure, a keen interest in open-source projects, and are well-versed in security, virtualization and automation.
- You understand what it takes to scale a web system from 100 users per day to 1,000,000.
- You also have proven leadership and management skills.
- You are an excellent communicator, highly dependable, and are able to effectively manage multiple teams, budgets and priorities with an agile approach.
- You have a sharp business sense and understand the web hosting and Cloud business not only as it stands today, but also where it’s likely headed in the next few years, including potential risks and pitfalls.
- 5+ years of leadership or management experience
- 10+ years of technical infrastructure/Cloud experience
- Degree in engineering, management, or related
- Excellent communicator (EN/FR) is required
- In-depth knowledge of the following systems or concepts:
- Virtualization: OpenVZ, KVM, OpenStack
- Firewalls & Edge security
- Agile methodology: Jira
- Experience with cPanel/WHM control panel (Plesk an asset)
- Excellent understanding of email protocols (POP/IMAP/SMTP)
- Experience with virtualization technologies such as OpenVZ, KVM, Xen, VMWare, or OpenStack
- Experience with Bash or similar command-line scripting languages
- Experience with Ansible or similar automation toolsGood understanding of web concepts such as DNS and IPv4/6
- Experience managing and optimizing database systems such as MySQL and MariaDB
- Working knowledge of common website scripting languages such as PHP, Perl, and Python
What we offer
- A modern Work From Anywhere approach to working remotely AND a wonderful office in Montreal, should you choose to work from there!
- Group Insurance (if you’re in Canada)
- Highly collaborative work environment with a proactive leadership team
Back to Job List