Web Hosting Canada (WHC) empowers tens of thousands of Canadian entrepreneurs and small businesses to thrive with its powerful yet affordable online solutions.
Join us and be part of a collaborative and passionate team dedicated to building Canada’s ultimate growth ecosystem.
How you fit in
Reporting to the Head of DevOps, the Web Hosting System Administrator helps build and maintain the tools, platform and infrastructure needed to support WHC’s clients and its operations.
With your extensive SysAdmin experience, you’ll provide advanced technical guidance in projects within the DevOps team and participate in system architecture decisions while aiming to continuously enhance the team’s technical knowledge and abilities.
You Will Make an Impact By
- Helping ensure optimal operations and standardized configurations of our server fleet, including shared, virtualized and dedicated servers
- Building, testing and maintaining the infrastructure and tools to allow for the speedy development and release of software.
- Spearheading or partaking in our continuous improvement projects dealing with automation, security, performance, and redundancy
- Optimizing LAMP stacks using existing tools and best practices, and researching/implementing new optimizations based on emerging trends and technologies
- Automating security and performance audits of Web servers (Apache/Litespeed), Database servers (MySQL/MariaDB), Mail servers (Exim/Postfix), and DNS (BIND/PowerDNS)
- Coordinating efforts with the SysAdmin team to ensure rapid problem resolution and stable system operations.
- Assisting with level 3 support escalations
- Documenting, reviewing and managing internal procedures and infrastructure configurations
- Helping coach SysAdmins with issues and participate in their ongoing training
- Configuring, optimizing and deploying new solutions or clusters based on specific client needs
- Supporting and maintaining WHC’s critical infrastructure
- Act as a primary technical resource to the SysAdminteam, helping them advance their projects
- Help coordinate efforts and projects with the Operations, Marketing, Dev, and Customer Experience teams
Required Skills & Experience
- 5+ years of experience with managing hosting environments
- Experience with Bash or similar command-line scripting languages
- Experience with Ansible/Rundeck or similar automation/orchestration tools
- Experience as a LAMP System Administrator (Apache or nginx) including in-depth understanding of DNS, IPv4/6, system performance and email reputation
- Experience with cPanel/WHM control panel (Plesk an asset)
- Excellent understanding of email protocols (POP/IMAP/SMTP)
- Experience with virtualization technologies such as OpenVZ, KVM or similar
- Experience with Cloud computing platforms such as GCP, AWS or Azure an asset
- Experience managing and optimizing database systems such as MySQL, MariaDB
- Good understanding of Agile methodologies
- Working knowledge of common website scripting languages such as PHP, Perl, and Python
- Understanding(ability to read the code) of different programming languages such as C/C++ or scripting languages such as Perl or Python
- Good communication skills in English, capable of clearly communicating complex concepts to a non-technical audience; French written and spoken is an asset
What we offer:
- A modern Work From Anywhere approach to working remotely AND a wonderful office in Montreal, should you choose to work from there!
- Group Insurance
- Highly collaborative work environment with a proactive leadership team
Inclusion and diversity are at the core of what we stand for at WHC. We strongly believe everyone has the right to be their authentic self in the workplace and therefore should feel comfortable doing so. That’s why we celebrate our differences in race, colour, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and religion. We've witnessed firsthand how a diverse workforce fosters unique perspectives, increased innovation, better problem-solving, engagement and an overall happier work environment.
Back to Job List