Reporting to the Head of Engineering and working closely with the DevOps and Customer Experience teams, you will be responsible to lead and grow a small but mighty team of seasoned SysAdmins.
The SysAdmin team manages the performance and availability for WHC's Infrastructure, and is responsible for ensuring that the websites and applications of tens of thousands of Canadian businesses run smoothly and load blazing fast. That's thousands of servers, hundreds of thousands of websites and emails, operating 24/7/365.
This role is pivotal in shaping the future of our SysAdmin team and its core processes and is a unique opportunity to make a significant impact within a growing company in a rapidly evolving industry.
- Ensure the optimal performance and continuous availability of WHC's hosting systems, including shared, virtualized, dedicated, and custom clusters
- Lead, train and manage a small but mighty team of SysAdmins
- Diagnose performance issues, including: load speed (network, CPU, memory, I/O), database and email
- Respond to and resolve system incidents in real-time
- Identify and resolve security incidents, including abuse, blacklisting, malware and phishing
- Monitor key performance indicators, including web response times, backup durations, and system loads
- Escalate complex issues and coordinate responses with the DevOps team
- 5+ years of experience as a System Administrator (Apache, nginx, LiteSpeed) with an infrastructure service provider
- Extensive knowledge and experience with system performance tuning and optimization, especially in high-traffic WordPress environments
- A seasoned leader, capable of managing and mentoring a team of SysAdmins
- Experience with cPanel/WHM control panel (Plesk an asset)
- Experience with Bash or similar command-line scripting languages
- Good communicator in French or English; capable of clearly communicating complex concepts to a non-technical audience
- Excellent understanding of email protocols (POP/IMAP/SMTP)
- Experience with virtualization technologies such as OpenVZ, KVM, Xen, VMWare, or OpenStack.
- Good understanding of web concepts such as DNS and IPv4/6
- Experience managing and optimizing database systems such as MySQL and MariaDB
- Working knowledge of common website scripting languages such as PHP, Perl, or Python
- Windows Server management experience an asset
- Redhat/LPIC certifications an asset
- Competitive salary with bonus incentive plan
- Comprehensive group insurance and telemedicine access
- Wellness program and regular group outings
- Frequent social gatherings, including 5a7s
- Free website hosting and domain package for personal use
- Social club and a fully stocked kitchen
- Bottomless bagels on Thursdays and monthly catered lunches
- Opportunities for business travel
- Beautifully renovated office in the heart of Little Italy
- Game room equipped with ping-pong, foosball, Nintendo, nerf guns and a library
- Fun holiday parties and epic activities
Join us in our mission to empower Canadians online with local and reliable web solutions. Apply now to become a part of a company that values innovation, fun, and sustainability!
Please submit your resume and a cover letter detailing your experience and why you’re a great fit for the role at: https://whc.bamboohr.com/careers/31
WHC is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Back to Job List